We have our moments and then there's Jesus. Four girls who are all recent grads of esteemed universities are tossed into the real world and face the trials, tribulations, and hilarity of trying real life. We face all battles with a smile, but even we have to admit we don't know shit.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Cinnamon Spice Leads to Something Nice

As many of my friends know, I love to run. I don’t do it competitively or anything because I’m not that fast. But I love it. It’s exhilarating and provides me with a moment of clear thinking. It’s definitely the closest thing I can get towards existentialism. Aside from the semi-spiritualism that running brings me, it keeps me in pretty good shape because I am big hungry; I love food! But even the longest run cannot make up for my strong appetite. I need something extra to boost my metabolism. Enter my natural secret weapons: cinnamon, honey and good old hot water. For years, colds, diarrhea, constipation, and all other ailments were met with natural herbs. Of course, for serious problems, I was sent to the doctor’s office, but my mother, paternal grandmother, and great aunts worked hard to limit my consumption of prescription pills. That being said, cinnamon was used often. And as I’ve grown older, I’ve come to appreciate its well-documented benefits.

Every night, I have a cup of cinnamon tea and honey before I go to bed. I boil the water and mix it with a teaspoon of cinnamon. I let it steep for about 20-30 minutes and then I add a tablespoon of honey. I let it steep for that long because it helps to cool off the water. My grandmother always told us never to add honey to hot water because it does something to the enzymes so that the benefits of the honey basically become non-existent.

The benefits of this little tea have been great. First off, I never have morning breath. Like ever. Even if I forget to brush my teeth before bed. Secondly, whenever I pick back up the habit of drinking the tea, my immune system is amazing. I’m hardly ever sick. And if I am, it never lasts long. Thirdly, I have way more energy. Perhaps the most important benefit has to be the fact that my metabolism is pretty great. Even when I eat the heaviest of heavy meals, I don’t feel so heavy because the food gets broken down pretty easily. In other words, I don’t get the “Itis” that often.

I don’t usually endorse things that concern other people’s eating habits or bodies because I don’t like to make people feel like I’m preaching to them about their lifestyles. But this tea is so easy to make and the ingredients are so easily accessible that I felt like I had to share it (actually my mom suggested that I share it). If you want to speed up your metabolism, lose a few inches, improve your digestive tract, or pick up a little extra energy to add a pep to your step, give this tea a try. Even if you don’t want to drink it every day, having it a few times a week will definitely make a difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment