We have our moments and then there's Jesus. Four girls who are all recent grads of esteemed universities are tossed into the real world and face the trials, tribulations, and hilarity of trying real life. We face all battles with a smile, but even we have to admit we don't know shit.

Sunday, February 24, 2013

People You Should Know: Kehinde Wiley

Art school wasn't fun until I found who I was as an artist. I wasn't able to find myself until I found others like me meaning black. You never realize the importance of your culture until its no longer surrounding you. I found my comfort zone in two professors...the only two black professors at that time. Thanks to them I was able to find what I like and use that in my work. One artist both professors were drawn to was Kehinde Wiley.


Kehinde Wiley is a New York based artist born in California. He is known for his portraits of everyday young black men who are placed in positions similar to those of old european royalty in front of elaborate backgrounds that come to the foreground.



He continues with that theme and traveled the world finding everyday men of color in China, Lagos & Dakar, Brazil, India & Sri Lanka, Israel, and France.



More recently he produced a series of portraits of women. When the series was released I decided that he was going to create my self portrait when I was wealthy enough to afford such a present. God willing.


 The way he is able to capture the skin of these people is so amazing. He is able to turn everyday people into these works of art that leave you speechless. Did I mention that these paintings are life size and larger? Crazy! If you are every given the opportunity to see these works in person I suggest you go.




Images are from http://www.kehindewiley.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment